Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Pumpkin Pie - Oh My!!

My favorite thing to bake, besides my famous cookies - is pumpkin pie!  I got the recipe from my Aunt, and have been in charge of making them for about five years now to bring to Thanksgiving dinner.  This year I will share my secrets (well, sort of) with you!  I also tried something new in the form of making them 'pretty' if you will.  Here is my guide to pumpkin pie!

Here are the ingredients you will need: 29oz of Pumpkin, 2 cans Evaporated Milk,  2 Tbsp Flour, 1/2 tsp Salt, 2 Tbsp Pumpkin Pie Spice, Nutmeg, Ginger, Cinnamon, Cloves, 4 Eggs, and 2c firmly packed brown sugar.  The reason for the non measurement on some of the spices - that's my secret lol.  Not too much of each :)  That is all I can give you!

Next, you need some extra special helpers - that makes the experience....Abby had her apron on!

Before I enlisted the help of the littles, I mixed all of the dry ingredients together in a 2qt bowl.  It just makes it a lot easier when adding the dry stuff to the wet. 

Then, with the help of my littles - I mixed the 4 eggs and the can of pumpkin together until well blended.  I used the whisk attachment.

After mixing the eggs and pumpkin together, then add the dry ingredients and mix until blended.

After you blend the egg mix and dry ingredients together, slowly mix in the two cans of evaporated milk and mix until well blended.  This was the littles favorite part!

After everything is blended together - this is what the finished filling will look like:

Next, you will want to line your pie plates (I swear by glass, but the cheap throw away tin ones are ok too). Now, I love to bake - but homemade crust is something I don't do often. So, these are just the refrigerated Pillsbury pie crusts that come in a two-pack.  I roll the edges down, and use the scoop part of the spoon to make a fun design in the edge of the crust.

To fill the crusts, I use a soup ladle.  I just alternate pans, so as to assure that there is an even amount in both.
All ready for the oven! 
I bake the pies at 425 for 15 minutes, and then reduce the heat to 350 for 35-40.

I don't have any pics of this process, but I used another crust and just cut out leaves and acorn shapes and placed them on an ungreased baking sheet at 400 for about 8 minutes.  I did forget to score the leaves with a sharp knife to mimic veins, but they look fine without also.  Super cute and easy!

When the pies cool, I just used some of the decorations and made a cute design.  Here they are!


Pies are ready to go tomorrow, and I will be enjoying a slice!  Also - only TWO days until Buddy makes his appearance on Saturday morning :)  The littles are going to be so excited.  Off to bed - long day tomorrow with two Thanksgiving meals to attend!  I hope everyone has a very safe and joyful Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment